Wednesday, July 11, 2012

~as promised, raggygirlvintage beachy living room summer makeover~


Hello friends,

I am happy, SO happy to report that summer has finally arrived up north in British Columbia, and what a beautiful place this is to be in the summer! Just in time as we’ve had company in town the past two weeks and it sure is more fun to be out and about in the sunshine. If you’re following me on instagram you will have seen some of my shots out and about, you can find me @ raggygirlvintage.

Well after the peeks I gave you at my gorgeous chippy aqua door and beachy mantle raggygirlvintage style, it seems I left you wanting more. I felt like I was holding out on you, that was so not my intention! It’s just that really my living room is a very ordinary room that I just like to play around with, but today I will show you the whole room, as promised!

IMG_2843

~You may want to grab a coffee at this point, you asked for photos and that’s what you’re gonna get, aplenty!!~

My home is very open plan, which I do generally love, but it does leave me with limited options for moving furniture around and utilising wall space, most of my spaces have windows, open walls or a fireplace. So in this room I really haven’t moved the main furniture pieces around much, but I do like to play around with the accessories in different seasons, especially now that my walls are a crisp, clean white
Smile
Okay, so let’s start with an overview shot from the entryway. The front door is to the left.

IMG_2811


Here’s a before photo. As you can see the furniture placement is pretty much the same. At Christmas time the sofas have to get moved around to accommodate our tree!

IMG_1909


I didn’t hate my living room before, but the colours were tired and our climate is wet so much of the year, I wanted lighter and brighter. The pictures on the wall were also tired and dated, and I wanted a change from the red accents in there.

IMG_1911


Here are a couple shots through the living room into the dining room. I really, really would like to slipcover these chairs one day….

IMG_2807


I love how much lighter the dining room is now that the walls are white, it is a small room and it just feels bigger and brighter now. I haven’t decided yet if I will paint the furniture in there or not. 
The chandy is making it look creamy in this photo, but it’s really not, it’s true white in natural light.

IMG_2808


This is the window wall with my chippy door, the windows are super tall in here and let in lots of light. 
{you can read my chippy aqua door post here}

IMG_2812


The drapes are from Pottery Barn, I picked them up instore some years ago as they were on sale, and I was thrilled to find drapes almost long enough for my oversize windows. 
Now I am looking for a sheer to hang with them, I have mixed sheers and drapes in our family room and I really like the look the different textures give, particularly on windows where you don’t close the drapes.

IMG_2856


On the opposite wall I have a couple white suitcases stacked, one more and they will be side table height! You can see them in the next photo too.

IMG_2813


The living room is on the front of the house and looks out onto the street, you can see a peek of my rocking chair through the window on my porch. The porch gets all the morning sun so it’s a great coffee spot in the early morning. 

IMG_2855


This is to the right of the fireplace. The vignette on this little table changes all the time, I’ve already switched it up since taking this photo! {Did I mention I really would like to slipcover these chairs…}

IMG_2815


Here’s a closer look. The trim you see to the right is the open entryway to the dining room.

IMG_2814


The vintage “E” is again for our last name, and I love using vintage frames in my decor.

IMG_2850
IMG_2851

Always a little lavender going on.

IMG_2853


This table has a smaller version underneath, where I’ve tucked some of my favourite decor reads. Which one do you think is my favourite??

IMG_2854


Here it is again after I changed things up a little, I wasn’t loving the birdie so popped a boxwood tree there instead.

IMG_2932


This chest sits in the centre of my living room, I believe it is called a Quaker chest and I had it custom made many years ago. It is honestly one of the most useful pieces of furniture in our home, it is so well built and both sides lift up so it is great for storage, I keep all my scrapbook albums and photos in there. Just don’t try and move it!
 I’m not crazy about the fireplace you can see in the background, one day I’d love to replace the tile.

IMG_2817


So here are some of the goodies that are sitting on my chest currently. A sweet wooden tray painted white and a pretty summer bouquet in a white pitcher. 
You can see a bit of wicker in there too, that one is filled with white sand and a candle, ready to use for a beach themed wedding party, which I’ll post about soon.

IMG_2840


I don’t usually buy yellow flowers but I found this bouquet at a roadside stand and it was too pretty to pass by! 

IMG_2843
IMG_2842


I know some people find it cheesy to use shells and starfish in beach decor, but personally they are not all that common around here and I happen to like them! I think it can be tastefully done. 
A little bit of white pitcher, a little galvanised metal, a little bling, it all can work together.

IMG_2839


Around the fireplace I kept it simple, you’ve seen my beachy mantle already. You can read the full post here.

2012-06-25 15.33.12


Down below I have more shells and starfish, baby’s breath and a giant white pitcher on the one side…

IMG_2847
IMG_2849


…and a vintage kiddies chair on the other side.

2012-06-25 15.33.45
2012-06-25 15.33.57


Finally, here’s a view from up top of the stairway.

IMG_2819


Well I hope you enjoyed the little tour of my raggygirlvintage beachy summer living room.

I’ll leave you with the before...

IMG_1909


...and after

IMG_2811


Tracey

you can follow me on raggygirlvintage fb here


and on instagram @raggygirlvintage

11 comments:

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Tracey,
Your livingroom looks very pretty. I think the white really brightened it up. I have an open floor plan too and it's hard to move the furniture around. Took me forever to figure out the best placement when the house was completed and we moved in.
Love all your special touches.

hugs
Sissie

Amy Kinser said...

Hey girl. Everything is just beautiful. I love how open everything is. How great for entertaining! You have made everything gorgeous!!

Unknown said...

Your room was pretty before but your redecorating has really given it a lift - love all the vintage things - you have a knack for decorating for sure!

Lady Pamela said...

Thank you so much for the tour. Really well done.
*Smiles*

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

You have some wonderful accessories! I like all the changes you made to your cozy room. The tall windows are wonderful too!

At The Picket Fence said...

What a beautiful room! That door is such a great statement piece and the color is fantastic. :-) Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Inspiration Friday this week!
Vanessa

Sew a Fine Seam said...

Your home is lovely! I adore that chippy blue door!!!

Honey at 2805 said...

Your room is beautiful in it's lighter color. Your accessories are all charming!

So happy you linked to Potpourri Friday! Hope you will make it a weekly party stop!

I have just become a friend and follower and hope you will too!

Laura Lynn said...

So pretty and fresh!

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

I loved seeing all of your living room! I love the little vignettes you have set up. The white walls change the look so much, I love them.

~Shanon

Lady Pamela said...

Hi Tracey,
I have nominated you for a "Tell Us About Yourself" Award. I would love to know more about you.
*Smiles*
Pamela

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - I love reading your comments and getting to know you a little better!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...