Wednesday, February 22, 2012

~4 “secret” ingredients to the best choc chip cookies~


IMG_1472-1

Okay peeps, let’s talk choc-chip cookies. I have made a ton of choc chip cookies in my baking career, including many recipes that claim to be the best ever. {By the way, when I say my baking career, I am referring to motherhood. Ha, ha!}

But here’s something you may not know about me : I am an avid baker and read recipes like I read blogs. I know I’m not the only one!

Believe me there are a lot of recipes out there claiming to be the best ever choc chip cookies, but of course as a family we have narrowed down our favorites! Our very best choc chip cookie recipes.

And in all this testing of choc chip cookies recipes I have come to this conclusion : there are 4 “secret” ingredients essential to a really good choc chip cookie. It’s not really all that profound but I like to read what works for you guys, so thought I’d share what works for me.

So, next post I’ll share some of our family favorite recipes for choc chip cookies, but first, let me spill the beans on my “secret” ingredients!

~secret ingredient # 1~


IMG_1945


Butter

 Okay, not so secret, but I only ever bake my choc chip cookies with butter. It really makes a difference to the taste. And I always use salted butter, just cut back on any added salt.

{By the way do you know why we add salt to baking at all? It is a flavor enhancer, it brings out the flavor in our food, especially baked goods, Anyways, we’re getting sidetracked here.}


~secret ingredient # 2~


IMG_1947



Soft brown sugar 

 Some recipes call for a mixture of brown sugar and regular sugar, but I always include some brown sugar, the soft kind. Plus I use organic sugar if any regular sugar is called for, you can buy it in the big bag at Costco (US) and it is unbleached and all, which makes us feel better about eating sugar at all, right?? Riiiight?

Anyway, it’s the soft brown sugar that really gives the cookies a great texture. I should probably add here that my family prefer a soft/chewy choc chip cookie, rather than the crispy kind.


~secret ingredient #3~


IMG_1954


Instant vanilla pudding mix

Yup, you read that right! Kinda on the sweet side, but good! {I always make my gingerbread dough with a recipe that includes a pudding mix, and it makes a huge difference to the taste.} Just trust me here peeps and try it! 

Now, I used to buy my all natural vanilla pudding mix at Trader Joes, but they discontinued it, so for now it’s the artificial version. But that’s okay ‘cos we’re using organic sugar, rememberSmile


~secret ingredient #4~


IMG_1950


Milk chocolate chips

I know, I know, they are pricey. I do have a big bag of the semi-sweet ones for when I’m whipping up a big lunch bag batch, but when you can use the milk chocolate chips, they make a HUGE difference and will knock your cookie ratings right out the park. 

Ghiradelli milk chocolate chips are my favorite, when they are on sale I pick up a bunch. They’re also good right out the bag when you just need a handful of chocolate. Oh - did I just say that out loud??!!


IMG_1951


So there you have it, my 4 “secret” ingredients! Come back next post for Part I of the line up of raggygirlvintage family favorite choc-chip cookie recipes {wow, that was a mouthful!}

So do you have any “secret” ingredients we should all know about?


IMG_0301-1


Happy baking!
Tracey

Have you entered my GIVEAWAY here??


9 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

Thanks for all the tips. The brown sugar and pudding is a new one for me. I'm looking forward to the recipes! :)

XO,
Jane

Tracey Ayton Photography said...

Looking forward to my batch that you're making me. :-)

Amy Kinser said...

They sound wonderful, Tracey. I have never heard of the pudding suggestion. Thanks for the info.

Take a minute, when you can, and read the comments left on my blog post about your shop. Very sweet, indeed.

Danielle Hardy said...

Yummy! These are great tips!

Elizabeth said...

I will be back for that recipe....the picture looks amazing!!

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

Well, I can't wait to try these cookies out. I use three of the ingredients, including the G milk chic chips. You threw me off with the vanilla pudding mix. I will be trying these for sure!

~Shanon

Vintage Home said...

sometimes I put in a shot of espresso!...your cookies LOOK yummy...wish I had some right now! & so does Bob..home sick sick sick.....I bet these would cheer him up!
Can't wait for the deets!

Unknown said...

Oh em gee these look amazing..I wish I had one right now. Chocolate chip cookies are my fave!!!

Barbara Matson said...

Uhm...when can I come over for some?

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - I love reading your comments and getting to know you a little better!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...